Tuesday, October 7

'The Best Is Yet To Be'

I would like to preface this note by thanking my dear friends Claire and Kendra for inspiring me to write my thought about conference. Thank you dear friends, glad to hear you're doing well. :)

Jesus will make everything alright, that was possibly my favorite thing that was said in this last Conference. Elder Anderson was the 4th person to speak on Saturday morning and he told a story of a little girl who was born deaf and as she grew up her parents taught her how to speak. It was a grueling process that at times seemed impossible, but eventually she started to learn and was able to put sentences together. One day while Emma (I think this was her name) and her Mother were waiting for the cashier to ring them up at the grocery store, the little girl noticed a boy behind them that was in a wheelchair and didn't have any legs, although Emma had learned to speak, she couldn't control the volume of her voice and asked her Mother, "why doesn't that boy have any legs?" Her Mother gently replied that that is the way God made him. She turned to the little boy and stated, "When I was born I couldn't speak, when you were born God made you without any legs, but that's what makes you special. Don't worry, Jesus will make everything alright."

These impactful words touch my heart and gave me peace in the reality and assurance that Jesus will make everything alright. These past couple months have been really tough for me. Although I have a plethora (yes I totally used that word) of friends, I've felt really alone and distraught, almost depressed. Conference brought back that much needed confidence that I have been lacking as of late. "Faith is not a feeling, it is a decision" (Elder Anderson Oct 2008 GC) I was waiting for this big event happen in my life. Waiting for someone to come pick me up, or to tell me what to do, waiting for that feeling of knowing the choice you are making is the right one to be making. But, it doesn't work like that, we have to decide and God will let us know if it's right, eventually, because "Faith and fear cannot co-exist in the heart at the same time"
(Elder Anderson Oct 2008 GC)

"Faith is one leg of a three legged stool of Faith, Hope, and Charity. We must find the balance...Despair is used to suffocate darkness. It kills ambition, and deadens the heart while hope pierces the darkness with a brilliant dawn. What is hope? The hope of Israel, hope is not knowledge it is believing and expecting our prayers will be answered. With hope come joy and happiness and to have patience with our trials." (President Uchdorf Oct 2008 GC) WHAT INSPIRED MEN!!! What I love about General Conference is that you feel, at least I feel, like they are speaking directly to me. See that's what's so universal and awesome about the Spirit, one thing can be being said, but a thousand things can be taught! President Uchdorf also said, "Faith is a fundamental foundation we must build upon. Put faith and hope into action!" I think we are always being told what to do, it's just if we are listening or not.

I also loved the steadfast and immovable Elder Wirthlin and his joy filled talk of "Come What May and Love It". Laughter is the very best medicine. President Monson inspired us with his great words at the Priesthood session:
1- Learn what you can learn
2- Do what we should do
3- Be what we should be
It's really that simple. Another talk that was awe-inspiring was President Uchdorf's "Lift Where You Stand", I would urge you to read it Sisters and those Brothers that weren't able to make it.

Conference was just what I need to "lift up my head and be of good cheer" (3 Nephi 1:13) The Church of Jesus Christ is the only true and living church on the face of the earth today, and I'm a part of it! It is true! HE LIVES!

I will end with President Monson's words; "This is our one and only chance to live here and now. It helps us distinguish what is most important in the future. Find joy in the journey. There is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do anything today...childhood doesn't come back...make the most of today to provide pleasant future memories. Remember, 'they do not love that do not show their love'. Let us relish life as we live it!"

The best is yet to be. :)

No comments: