Wednesday, October 22

the past little while...

Eric Sackett
Student Development 110
Journal #3

Well my life saga continues as I pursue to get a degree here a BYU. It has been a rough couple of weeks for me, as well as everyone else I’m sure. There has also been a lot of good that has gone on amidst all of the turmoil, I got to go on a cruise, I’ve reconnected with a lot of old friends, and I’ve learned priceless lessons I’ll carry with me as long as I shall live.
One of these lessons is the importance of holding my tongue, Proverbs 29:11 states; “A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.” This is something I do not do nearly enough of. I’ve always been one to speak my mind and let people know how I feel about things, after all I am a very extroverted person ☺, but lately, I’ve learned that refraining from speech is sometimes more powerful that uttering well though out words. There is a reason for everything. That is a fact no one can dispute, because having no purpose in something is still a reason of doing something. I’ve learned that being humble and patient through trails offers happy results, and jumping to conclusions injures and angers. If you haven’t found this out already I’m the former part of that scripture above, I tend to jump to conclusions and hurt the dearest of friends as well as other people I’ve barely met, although I won’t apologize for showing feeling I need to work on mediation in expressing my emotions.
Speaking of emotions, I tend to get really emotional at not so very emotional things, for example, on the plane back from Florida (coming back from my ever so delightful cruise) there was an in-flight movie. It was ‘Cinderella Man’. It really made me want to be the best dad in the whole wide world. The main character, James J. Braddock was a big fighter before the depression and once the economy dropped out, so did he. It’s a story of the struggle he has trying to provide for his family and stay alive, it is inspiring story, and for me one that shows the real love of a father, and the lengths that he goes to make sure his family is safe and warm and fed. I cried through most of it. I’m emotional, but I’m so excited to be a Dad.
Parents. Tough to deal with as a teenager, move out, that is the best solution in my mind. Parents always want the best for their kids and they sometimes tend to show it with a lot of negative reinforcement. Not in every situation mind you, but in my case, my parents tend to show their loves in different ways then flowers and WAY TO GO stickers. They always expect the best out of me, which they should, the way I go about handling it sometimes is juvenile. But I’m learning to cope with is, and that is what it is important.
I’m learning that the most important things in life aren’t things, they are people, and maintaining friendships and trust between others we interact with. This class has made me organize my life a lot, and think more about where my focus is being put. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how the best thing that I can do to get over my problems is to serve others and stop thinking about myself and how hard everything is for me right now and everything going wrong in my life. There is always someone worse off.
Things can always get worse. But they’re more likely to get better. ☺

No comments: